Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Knit, Apparently, Doesn't Happen

In the weeks since my last post, I've taken on a massive stash busting project. Going back to my roots as a crocheter, I have busily been whipping out dozens of granny squares to demolish my store of acrylic yarn, and hopefully make an only moderately hideous afghan that can grace the back of my living room sofa for generations to come. Its been nostalgic, looking at the remants of yarn and remembering the initial projects I made with them.

It has also been probably the biggest, single pain in the a@* that I've undertaken in a LONG time. Not even including the potential carpal tunnel syndrome from the repetitive movements...the damn thing EATS yarn, though, OF COURSE, its not my stash yarn that the AFGHAN FROM HELL consumes in epic amounts. No, its the gray Red Heart Super Saver that I've purchased to border each square. So far, I've worked through 8 balls of 12 purchased...and I REFUSE to buy more. I know, I know, why complain about the cost of Red Heart some of you might say, but 2,928 yards of yarn should be MORE than enough to complete one, single blanket.

After two weeks of working on but one lonely project, I've got fiber craft wanderlust. Its July, and so far, I have made scant progress on my knitting, the one New Years Resolution I made. Today, I was determined to at least work out the rudiments of increases and decreases, so that when I finally can afford to sign up for a knitting class, I'll have some idea of what to do. Well, the only additional wisdom my bamboo needles hold, besides knit and purl stitch, is that I could perform an inexpensive DIY lobotomy.

In the words of my pirate ancestors, arrrgggghhhh.

I must go...the blanket is hungry.

g.o.

No comments: